LIGURIAN SALT WAY
Liguria Salt Way from Genova Nervi to Piacenza It is a route with breathtaking views of the Paradiso Gulf and the whole Lombard-Ligurian Apennines. 140km of emotions.
The Route starts in Genova Nervi: Last district of the Municipality of Genoa, the first kilometers are very tiring but all the Ligurian mountains are not to be underestimated.
Liguria Salt Way is a trek with an important past behind it. Salt was a very precious commodity useful for food preservation; for this reason it was transported from the sea over the mountains, up to the innermost areas of the Po Valley. The Via del Sale then retraces part of the stretch historically used by merchants, an ancient path of centuries. The Via del Sale that we are going to travel is the one that from Genoa Nervi reaches Piacenza, but that can also start from Sori, Recco, Camogli and Santa Margherita Ligure. The Via del Sale is not in fact a path with a precise beginning and end.
Our Salt Way is 140km long It has an uphill gradient of 4.380m. From Genoa Nervi to Piacenza it takes at least 5 days of walking The signposting is excellent starting from Sant’Alberto di Bargagli to the Azzaretti Refuge in Pian della Mora where we leave the main path to head towards piacenza, composed both by CAI / FIE indications and by dedicated signage.
The salt route is not suitable for everyone. The presence of strong gradients and the lack of facilities and refreshment points along the way, make us evaluate the trekking as hiking E. In general, however, the bottom of the track is easy, consisting mainly of paths. We find a bit of asphalt near the arrival in Piacenza, and deal with a fund of stones and rock. For this last feature, above all, I do not recommend going along the Salt Road during the winter months and in the presence of heavy rains. The risk of falling and hurting is strong.
Traveling a unique route, Salt was a very precious commodity useful for food preservation in the past.
The Canestrello di Torriglia, an extremely sweet traditional dessert
The unknown Macchu Pichu of Liguria a few kilometers near the sea, from Monte Cordona the view is perfect.
- Traditional dishes of 3 gastronomic culture. Villages in Liguria, Lombardia and Emilia Romagna
- The incredible Mountains ridge, linking Liguria to Lomabrdia, 8km of ridge with a breathtaking view
- The paths in Liguria are well put while in Lombardy and Emilia Romagna worsen so pay more attention.
- Unfortunately they are not well marked so provide GPS if you want to stay calm. The differences in height are considerable and are felt on the legs.
- The area of the Aveto Park is very wild and there are many animals but harmless. The ridge that divides Liguria and Lombardy is very impressive and spectacular.
- Last thing, even in summer, temperatures can have sudden changes in the day, not just at night.
- Sleeping on this path is not a problem. It is possible to sleep in Torriglia in a B & B while before Monte Carmo in the Capanne di Carretta farm.
- If you want to bivouac under the stars, however, you can do it in the ridge areas between Mount Chiappo and Mount Carmo.
- When you enter Lombardy it is advisable to sleep in Brallo di Pregola or to the Agriturismo La Pernice Rossa at the Passo della Scaparina.
- For the last night sleep near Travo.
- It is advisable to bring with you a gas burner, some sachets of freeze-dried food and the correct equipment (shoes, wind jacket, sleeping bag, chopsticks)
- Chocolate, bread, Parmigiano Reggiano and sausages could be important elements for a daily snack.
- LIFE STRAW water filter is strongly recommended for drinking in any situation from rivers
- A good supply of 2 liters of water per person is always recommended.
- In the Antola Park, more precisely in the area of Monte Carmo you can meet some sources but are not easy to find, ask the Agriturismo Capanne di Carrega. In the part of Lombardy and Emilia, water is increasingly scarce.